The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > The Community > The Roleplay Den > Fantasy/Mystical Roleplay
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Apr 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #101
Aerazura
the listener

Rift was struck down a number of times. He was amazing by the strength that Ebbw demonstrated. He felt it first hand by the initial blow of the green earth dragon’s tail. Each time, Ebbw would let him up and the little dragon seemed stunned by the force. What had he gotten himself into. Being headstrong and stubborn, Rift wasn’t going to let up. They moved on to pins which seemed to infuriate the little spitfire. Ebbw told him to continue fighting even though that the situation seemed impossible.
Rift struggled and wriggled like a caught fish. His spines would poke and prod the claws that held him if only he could get in the right position. If there was a hundred things he lacked, stamina wasn’t one. Spine backs where made for endurance as well as speed. They could keep a good pace for the course of a day and not be quick to tire.
Rift demonstrated this well. Wriggling and squirming with all he had, he tried to sweep his tail and knock one of Ebbw’s back legs, but Rift being a yearling and Ebbw a full grown male of a massive species, his tail did nothing more than bump up against the truck he called a leg.
At this failed attempt, Rift thrashed sideways, making his form thinner and tore at the ground. He gained traction and slipped out of Ebbw’s grip. He ran for it, just enough to get out of harms way and whipped around, panting.
When Ebbw lunged for him again, he danced out of the way, trying to keep one step ahead but this dragon wasn’t ruler of the clan for his leadership skills alone. This dragon had a brain for tactics and fighting skills that led him to the top. Rift was in full of flight mode in this instant as the large dragon hurtled toward him. Acting like a slippery fish was his only saving grace at this point. He had no idea how to take down a dragon the size of a mountain. When the large dragon stopped his advances, did he stop too and allowed himself some time to pant and take inventory of the pain he still felt in his side from the first blow.

Formerly a Royal Pirate
Our Love Is Fearless

Aerazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #102
Casnewydd
Red, White and Green

Ebbw had observed and competed against Rift and could see the poor Spineback lacked allot of firepower in physical and mental tactics, Ebbw let Rift get his breath as he panted keeping some distance from himself and Ebbw.
“Enough now” he said the large emerald dragon his look seemed allot more serious and sterner than he usually was then again he was teaching and Ebbw always commanded respect if anyone was taught by him including Jotta.
Ebbw felt a pang in his heart as his stern look softened to one of sympathy towards the spine back, he could see the young red dragon was hurting from the initial blow and he felt slightly bad he had gone in so hard on a kid.
“Perhaps I’m being too rough with you, I should scale it back considerably until your older” he said as he watched the young spine back look at him with some dismay, despite the hurt this dragon seemed to want to show what he could do.
“Some positives your kind has incredible stamina and you do not give up, whether it is because your race is stubborn or your determined I do not know but I’ve seen some positives today” he said to the young spine back hoping this would satisfy him.......it did not.
Ebbw sighed lightly as Rift seemed to want to push himself again, but Ebbw imagined Rift found the task daunting, perhaps Ebbw should change tactics, either way the poor spine back would get a beating in the trials and adolescent contests, Ebbw would not allow himself to see this happen to a good soul like Rift.
“Want to call it quits? I’d hate to damage you not that I would just think I should tone it down” he said and he could see that Rift would not be happy with this and hopefully it spur him on to keep going, if he wanted to of course.
“I mean I would test you see how much pressure you could take in a tight spot, Maybe” he said as he awaited the spine backs reaction to the fact Ebbw was going to Tone down training and start teaching him basics, this would sound to Rift like his chances of competing in the adolescent challenges were slipping away from him right there.
Unread Apr 11th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #103
Aerazura
the listener

Rift stayed and did his very best to show Ebbw that he was in for the long haul, no matter how much he got battered around. While it was infuriated to be tossed to the ground time after time, he had to prove himself now that he made such a fuss over getting the clan leader to train him. It was a long day of frustrations but in the end he seemed to show Ebbw that he was determined. The green earth dragon didn’t put such power into his blows and pins but gave some allowance due to Rift’s condition, age and breed.
Once the sun started getting low in the sky, Ebbw called off the lesson. Rift sat, exhausted while Ebbw brought them a quick meal to eat. Ebbw’s duties required him to tend to the clan once more before bed so Rift made the trip to the home cave alone. Here he licked the small scratch on his ankle before falling into an utter exhausted sleep.
The morning brought the twitter of birds and Rift got up to an empty cave. He fulfilled his morning duties of washing up and tidying his spot in the cave before he set out to find his friends. After the welcoming chatter, they asked what Rift was up to the day prior and he told them about his ordeal with Ebbw, though he did elaborate it so that it didn’t sound like a total disaster on hid end.
“I really need to figure out your fighting style. It’s all strength while my breed as all about landing painful hits and bloodletting.”
He settled himself down in the grass.
“What are he doing today?” he asked, looking at Caersus. He had brought the little stone with him and it was tucked safely away in his crest. He planned on giving it to her later that day. He hoped she would like it.

Formerly a Royal Pirate
Our Love Is Fearless

Unread Apr 11th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #104
Casnewydd
Red, White and Green

Ebbw had gotten up early to attend to his duties as leader, despite most of the clan settling down there was still work to do around their new home, places to build and of course more scouting needed to see how far they could advance their territory, so far they now had some prime hunting grounds.
Ebbw was now helping out with some other males with making the last caves bigger to accommodate some of the other dragons, the caves just needed tidying and enlarging moving boulders and other debris out, it was tiring work but Ebbw won many admirers by getting stuck in.

Meanwhile back outside by the meeting area Rift joined the other dragons, Jotta was still being his smug self but seemed friendly enough to the red spine back for now, as Rift spoke about their fighting techniques Caersus smiled lightly, “Well it is a different culture for you, I’m sure you get the hang of it Rift your a dynamic dragon from what I’ve seen and you seem determined you get there” she said with a smile, Jotta snorted as if amused but soon got distracted by Caerphilly as they talked on Caersus showed Rift this stone she found.
“Isnt it pretty Rift, a really good find, so nice in the cave I stay in, they glitter as the sun touches them I’m really glad I found them to decorate the new cave” she seemed happy to find them.
It was odd indeed that the dragoness should like something so basic as a colourful rock or pebble but she did nonetheless, Caerphilly didn’t seem too keen on it but was happy to listen to her waffle on about their looks and charms.
Little known to her Rift had been saving the one he found for her and she looked at him with a smile, “You do good here Rift I know it, you be strong and brave like those two lumps there” she seemed full of compliments today but even looking at her she was really happy not only with her stones but her new home and surroundings.
Unread Apr 12th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #105
Aerazura
the listener

Rift swelled with pride as the female showered him with compliments. Was it odd for dragons to feel this way to other breeds? He didn’t know what stirred inside him but whenever she was near he felt joyous and like he could run for miles and miles. She showed him the nifty rock she found and seemed so pleased with its brilliance. One could hear the joy in her voice when she told the boys about how she was collecting them to decorate the entrance in her home cave. Rift took a moment of thought and imagined that it would indeed look beautiful.
Perhaps this joy for beautiful objects and the collection of them are what sparked the rumours and legends of great dragon hordes.
“It’s very lovely,” he mused when she asked. Jotta and Caerphilly didn’t seem as impressed and so they began their play sparring. Rift took this chance to chat with Caersus. He wanted to give her the stone but he didn’t want everyone’s attention while he did so. The boys, being occupied, would be so pressing, though he wasn’t sure why he was so nervous to give her the little rock.
Plucking it from his crest, he brushed it off and handed it to her, letting the sun glint brightly off the intermingled colors.
“I found this is the creek a few days ago. Maybe it will make a good addition to your home cave decorations,” he said, rather shyly.

Formerly a Royal Pirate
Our Love Is Fearless

Unread Apr 12th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #106
Casnewydd
Red, White and Green

Caersus smiled as Rift seemed to take an interest in her obsession with these shining pebbles, she was glad at least one male seemed to be paying attention but she seemed curious with her stone until Rift showed her what he had found.
He eyes widened slightly as she took the small stone in her giant paw, holding it gently and studying it closely she smiled and looked at it glitter in the afternoon sun, she spoke to Rift as he seemed to be oddly shy.
“It’s wonderful Rift thank you very much, how interesting........” she said studying it closely with her keen eyes and then looked at it again, “It has some streaks green like our scales and a red........reminds me of.......” she stopped and looked at Rift as he seemed shy but her expression softened and she smiled kindly to him as she put it safe with the other collection of sparkling pebbles.
“It will take place of honour, too good to be a simple cave decoration” she said looking at Rift again, “I do hope you stay here for a long time Rift, I can see things coming your way with time” she said and got up onto her feet, “I best take this back and put it safe, thank you Rift be back soon” she said with a smile to the red spine back and trotted off.
Jotta decided to venture off somewhere but all the while Caerphilly had kept an eye on Caersus and Rift, he walked up to him and nodded politely and then stood next to the red spine back, he watched Caersus walk off in the distance with her little treasures and he spoke to Rift.
“You.......Like her don’t you?? “ he asked him bluntly, “I been watching, the way you act around her, she is very pretty yet not totally female in her ways, perhaps how we all grew up but I can see she pleases you......like she does me” he said admitting for the first time he liked Caersus and seemed to be after her affection.
“So Rift, do you like her or not?” he asked as Rift seemed to not be able to give him an answer first time around, not without allot of thinking and scratching backs of heads.
Unread Apr 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #107
Aerazura
the listener

Rift seemed to shut right down when he was confronted by Caerphilly. He should have known that he was toeing the line when he spoke with the female youngster. Having seen and heard all about Caerphilly’s stance on their relations and the spineback should have been more considerate.
“No,” he said in flat denial when the male asked him if he liked her. “I’m sorry if it seemed that way, Caer.”
He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. Where to start?
“Sorry, I’ve not much experience talking with females and I was awkward enough just speaking with my sisters. I apologize if my flustered talks with her made you think that way. I would never want to upset your or her.”
Rift ducked his head to show he was sinscere. His apology was true enough. Rift had no idea how to talk to girls and speaking with the female made his heart go a mile a minute. And while he did find he flustered and felt a happy glow in his heart when Caersus spoke to him, he knew he needed Caerphilly’s friendship more.
“I’m finding it hard enough fitting in being who I am, I don’t want to make anyone upset by my lack of knowledge. I promise I’ll step back and watch my words, I don’t want to lose two friends. Is that ok? You can always thump me on the nose if I get out of line.” He said with a hesitant chuckle.

Formerly a Royal Pirate
Our Love Is Fearless

Unread Apr 14th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #108
Casnewydd
Red, White and Green

Caerphilly listened as Rift said he wasn’t interested in her, he even apologised to Caerphilly for showing the interest, the young male seemed confused and puzzled by Rift’s awkwardness and he shook his head lightly as Rift said he could thump him.
“Friends don’t thump each other as you say, even if we do like the same female” he said to Rift looking at him with a small smile.
“No need to say Sorry, it’s just I like her, I really like her Rift but I don’t know if she likes me back, I try and prove I could look after her even if I’m still a youngling” Caerphilly said his words genuine.
“It’s complicated stuff she makes me really happy and I adore being around her, Father says sometimes if you feel that way it’s a sign you found a partner, I hope she feels that way to me too” he seemed a bit awkward talking and admitting this to Rift who had also seemed or looked to of shown the same interest.
“Don’t tell Caersus about what I’ve said to you please Rift I’m telling you as a close friend of mine” he said looking at Rift for that guarantee and soon he got the look he was after.

Afterwards the group re joined and were talking, Caerphilly seemed a little distant but still kept the conversation going, Caersus had seemed more bubbly around both Caerphilly and Rift when she spoke to them, either together or on their own.
Soon the group departed for home, Ebbw was in the area and saw Rift walking back to the cave where they both resided, he walked beside him and nodded “Hey Rift” he said but could see something in Rift that made the young male concerned.
“You alright Rift? You don’t seem to be ok is you having second thoughts with staying with me?” Ebbw said sounding genuinely concerned for the young Spine backs happiness within the clan.
“You know my scouts spotted.......what do you call them a bachelor group? Of Spine backs crossing by the great lake seemed a biggish group of males, we been watching, they seem to be heading north, with your speed you could easily catch up to them if you wanted to leave” he said the option put in front of Rift was to leave or stay but if the Spine back looked closely he would of seen concern and care from Ebbw, it was clear Ebbw really wanted him to stay with him and be part of their group and their new home.
Unread Apr 16th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #109
Aerazura
the listener

Rift put on a brave face when Caerphilly told him that the situation was now ok and just a misunderstanding. He was glad that his friend wasn’t mad at him but when the youngster went into telling him about how much he cared for Caersus and how that he thought they were meant to be, it made Rift’s heart ache. Their love, he could see it now that he heard these words from the other youngster. He had been a fool to think that he could have stepped in and steal that praise and appreciation. It had made him feel like nothing he had felt before. Her praise and cheer had lifted him to a higher place but that had been all for not. She was Caerphilly’s. Not officially yet, of course, but still he had put claim on her with this speech.
“You two make a good match. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t ever tell her.” He said with a promise.
The rest of the evening spent with the two other youngsters was a bit awkward. Rift didn’t want to speak or even look at Caersus but he made an effort despite the hurt in his heart. The female seemed oblivious, regardless so that made things a bit easier. When the sun was starting to fall in the sky the group departed. Rift sat along the brook near the home cave and drank the water for a while. Looking at his wavering reflection the dragon seemed sad.
Silly of me, he thought, to even think that I could hold a flame to Caerphilly.
He pushed dirt into the creek and muddied the image of his face before taking off towards the perimeter of the territory. Here he would run off some of the feelings he felt like where choking him. He also felt useful doing it. Making sure nothing was amiss on this side of the forest even though it was a round that Ebbw did daily, or at least sent scouts to do. When he felt fine again he stopped and breathed out, one long sigh from his lungs and looked at the sky. Stars poked out brightly from behind patchy clouds.
If he was destined to be a bachelor all his life, so be it. But that wouldn’t stop him from proving his worth. Rift vowed to himself that he would be a key part of the green earth dragon clan. Seeing that the group fourished in peace and safety was now his mission.
A while later he spotted Ebbw near the home cave and together they walked into their sanctuary. Hoping up onto his ledge, the spine back made himself ready for bed while ebbw chatted away.
Rifts heart was crushed a second time when Ebbw told him that they had found a bachelor run of spine backs. For a terrifying moment he thought that Ebbw was kicking him out. Evidently that was not the case. The youngster was silent for a moment but didn’t seem to be quiet in hesitant apprehension. Stories of bachelor groups once seemed a safe haven for him. He would have run the world over with them in search of someone who would call a new land home, and family with him. Now the group of single males seemed daunting, and pointless. They where still lonely in their pack; each searching desperately for what the others also pine for. They would fight and tear out scale if a white stockings appeared on their path. He was a runt anyway, there would always be males stronger then him there. Females wouldn’t want him when they could compare him to the rest of the run. No, that’s not the life he wanted. He had found friends here, a mentor that sought to protect him and give him a good life, and a clan that did not seem to care if he was smaller, no less a different species.
“No, Ebbw, I want to stay.” He said firmly. “If you’ll have me, I want to stay with you. I’ve been given a second chance here. I think I would be throwing it all away chasing hope with the bachelor group.”

Formerly a Royal Pirate
Our Love Is Fearless

Unread Apr 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #110
Casnewydd
Red, White and Green

Ebbw listened as the Red spine back seemed determined to stay with the green earth dragons, his voice and determination in his eyes was enough for Ebbw and he acknowledged that with a kind smile, almost fatherly in a way.
Ebbw and Rift had been on a incredible journey together, from when they met to him becoming leader, to him also being accepted into the clan plus Rift being mentored the now leader of the green earth dragons.
It seemed their adventures would continue on and this pleased Ebbw no end, he did care for the Spine back he helped and seemed determined to help Rift achieve whatever goal he wanted from the clan, but at the same time he didn’t want to see the youngster hurt.
Ebbw then spoke as Rift settled down on his usual ledge, he had now become accustomed to Rift sleeping there and Ebbw laid out on the floor with a nest of dried grass inside for comfort, “Excellent, you don’t realise how pleased that makes me, to hear you say that” he said to the young spine back as he now lay on his side face still towards Rift.
“I may have a challenge for you, young Rift I will continue to help you train you for these challenges ahead, only if you accept of course but you must keep persevering, trust my methods and of course if you progress ok I might let you into the trials for adolescent champion........deal?” Ebbw asked the young spine back.
The training would be long and hard and Rift would have to learn and be patient with his progress but as he got older and bigger, he would develop under Ebbw’s careful guidance........Rifts journey to taking part in the adolescent matches had now begun......