The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Mar 1st, 2002, 05:59 AM   #1
Aquanite
o

opinions/critiques... ._.

Please.. ..I know there's something anatomy-ly wrong with my pics, but I can't seem to figure it out, and most people just don't.. tell me. I kinda wanna know. :lol

.. the pic can be found here:

http://www.lilymud.com/showthread.php?threadid=3069
Unread Mar 1st, 2002, 10:52 AM   #2
Snowy
What maximum word count?

Not sure how true to the machairodonts you want to be (Renata's born of leonine parents, right?), so I'll keep it to the general stuff.

I think the shoulders need to be moved back some. I know that you want to them to be raised and all, but as they are now, it makes it look like the scapula is located at the very front of the ribcage, as opposed to further back. Also, make the top of the shoulder blade a bit narrower and with a recognizable apex for it.

The front left paw looks a little odd in the placement of the toes. Part of it is that the "pinky toe" is really small and located too high on the paw. Let's see...shorten the "index finger," make the "middle finger" a little thinner, scoot the "ring finger" over to Renata's right, and then slide the "pinky" into the area that should remain on the paw. It's hard to describe, but hopefully that gives some semblance of an idea

I really like the way the hindquarters look. That one hind leg sticking out is cute Only thing I might do there is make the lower line of the foot thinner towards the ankle, since it makes the joint look a tad fat, almost swollen.

Last thing is that the tail connects to the body too low on the body. Just raise it up to between apex of the spine and the hip, but closer to the spine's apex. Again, hope that's clear enough.

I think that's it on the anatomical front, unless you want some machairodont details, especially with a specific genera or species in mind. All around, cute pic
Unread Mar 1st, 2002, 04:27 PM   #3
Aquanite
o

Mygod, Snowy, thank you! o.o! I've always wondered about all this stuff.. and.. .. well, I can just say thanks. I'll work on what ya said, and maybe one of my pics will look half-decent in the future! :lol

.. I know the tail looks awkward, I noticed that after I colored/uploaded the pic.. ! Dontcha just hate that?

Again, thanks a bunch. This really helps.

btw- Renata WAS born into a lion-pride, with the help of human's, of course.. (The poor thing.. the outcome of years of cloning.. :lol) .. since she was, I bet some lion-genes would probably of slipped in there.... dunno.
Unread Mar 1st, 2002, 07:18 PM   #4
Snowy
What maximum word count?

Welcome

Oh, yes, the ever fun you're-half-way-through-a-picture/done-with-the-picture-and-it's-just-now-that-you-notice-an-error. I hate those. :tongue2:

Hmm, from what I've read regarding cloning, I think what you're looking for is more in the way of genetic engineering, which is something else entirely. The whole scientific premise of bringing back dinosaurs in Jurassic Park dealt with genetic engineering more than cloning, since they had to fill in the DNA gaps with the DNA of other animals (frogs, if I remember correctly). Albeit, placing said manipulated/refabricated DNA into an oocyte (an egg) would probably follow similar techniques to those used in cloning. That said, even though lions are from a completely different subfamily of the Felidae (subfamily Felinae, as opposed to subfamily Machairodontinae), with no extant machairodont species around, I can certainly see where any gaps in a DNA sequence for a sabertooth would be filled in with genes from lions and/or tigers. So, there ya go.
Unread Mar 1st, 2002, 07:23 PM   #5
Aquanite
o

True, true.. but I just shorten it all down to 'cloning', although it's much different. Dunno.. .. I just like that a lot.. :lol

*clones a penguin* Yay! *names it 'Colonel Sanders'*

:lol