The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Mar 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1
EndlessNight
blau und weiß wie lieb ich dich

Pot perspective

Yes it's Handy Manny fanart. *L* Commence mocking me.

Well so, ugh, I just noticed this cactus pot thing and now it's bugging me but I can't decide if it's worth reopening the .psp and fixing.

Any chance I can fix that leaning forward pot in the right corner without re'painting' the entire pot? Could I maybe use a deformation filter and skew it upward?
Maybe something could do with the way the table is cut off in the back? To make the pot not look so weirdly forward.
Or I am I doomed to magically-leaning-forward-but-not-falling-over-potness?

I never do backgrounds and I admit I'm terrible at it. Terrible. That's why I never do them. I would love someday to actually be able to put a character in a scene without it looking like I hired a five year old to do the background.
So yeah repainting the pot would be no big deal for someone better at art but it was hard enough for me to paint at all in the first place. I'd hate to have to re-do it. I'd just leave it as is I guess.

I did this as a tablet doodle with no sketch scanned in first and so of course I had no plan for how the pot that would be sitting on the table; and I 'painted' it zoomed in with no thought for the pic as a whole. I'm so annoyed I didn't catch it before.

Any advice for a cheater/easy way to fix my screwed up pot?

-----
Ich bin als Schalker geboren,
Lebe als Schalker,
Und werde als Schalker sterben!!

Ameya "Kazamidori" Dobson 13/06/82-13/10/08 Always in my heart
EndlessNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Tamu

OMG, Handy Manny!!!

I really have nothing to contribute, because my perspective is atrocious (though it looks pretty good to me?) - but just... Handy Manny, I had to laugh. Excellent, though (looove his hands).
Tamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Quill
mama lioness

The base of the pot looks fine, but you might want to extend the color a bit higher in the front (cover some of the lovely planter rocks) and lower the back. Look across the top of a cup, you'll see what I mean
looks AWESOME. Lol.
Unread Mar 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Majordomo
It's "Ne-vad-da", not "Ne-vah-da"

I have nothing further to really contribute, but I was really expecting this thread to be a debate about legalizing marijuana.
Unread Mar 11th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Aikachi
Z.E.A.M. ~ Zaney Enslaved Artist Monkey

You're right, it does look a little wonky... like it's tilted towards you or something. Maybe you'd be able to fix it by deforming it and squishing it down a bit? thought that might mess with your pretty cactus :/ hmm

Signature by Gemxx, thanks <3
Aikachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Nightingalle

... and Handy Manny just came on. My son loves this show xD;

I agree witth Dina really, maybe try painting the side nearest to the camera higher?
Unread Mar 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #7
EndlessNight
blau und weiß wie lieb ich dich

Yes I am Handy Manny OBSESSED. It's sad.
But thanks for nice comments and advice. I hadn't drawn a human in ages but I had been working really hard on improving how I draw the shoulders and neck so hopefully it's showing.

Tamu- I drew him in my best attempt at the gloves that Mayor Rosa gives him. The ones he wanted at Kelly's but were too expensive. He also wears them when he changes the window glass in the town clock. I think he looks way hot with those gloves compared to his usual.

I gave a whack at putting the front edge of the pot higher as you guys recommended but it sticks out. I think because I had a lighting effects layer that I already merged so trying to get the colour right it just looks bad. It looks very much like a crappy attempt to fix the pot as I feared.
Also I'm getting that 'cat eye' effect that happens in bad attempts at cylindrical objects. I know Spiritwolf once did a redline on a still life and showed how to fix that issue- I wish I could find the file.
I did try cylinder deformation but it ended up way too scraggley along the edges. It was just bad times. I use Paint Shop Pro 5 from 1998 and it's not that great at handling layers. Or filters. Or much of anything but I've never had luck trying new programmes. I used PSP7 for a little bit but I always seem to go back to PSP5. The most annoying thing is that brushes can only be 200 in size max. So I had to accept that some brush strokes would show. I have a bit of a complex about that which is why I am terrible at painting with real paints.

Thank you for the cup advice Quill. I have been staring at cups and vases and plant pots for a couple days now at all different angles and trying to draw them. When I did the pot I was sort of thinking of the shape as a like a plate instead of picturing the entire pot shape as a sort of cylinder. If that makes any sense. I was not imaging the entire shape as a whole or in deep space when drawing. I think I definitly need to take some time to go back to drawing the basic shapes at different view points and at different distances from the forground. That might make doing backgrounds not so scary if I can break the backdrop down into shapes and distances of the shapes.
I don't know why I have such a hard time with doing scenes. I got stuck in a character portrait kind of rut for years and years and I still am in it.
It's frustrating to never seem to improve.

And Majordomo that's really funny. I have to say thread title may have been misleadingly more interesting than thread content in this case. *L*

-----
Ich bin als Schalker geboren,
Lebe als Schalker,
Und werde als Schalker sterben!!

Ameya "Kazamidori" Dobson 13/06/82-13/10/08 Always in my heart
EndlessNight is offline   Reply With Quote