The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Feb 14th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #26
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

And if you cant buy PSP, you can always nick it like me
Hey, it saved me a few hundred dollars that's going towards rent and food now!

But before you even touch PSP, you should learn the basics of real media first.

Eva is right about the differences between TLK and real lions. You really dont want to fall into the habit of drawing TLK because it is VERY stylized. You should try to seek your own style. Tracing TLK art (even just looking at TLK art and copying the picture) doesnt make you a 'good' artist, it may be okay for practice, but you are not drawing yourself, it's still Disney's art. Try to draw both realism and cartoon for practice too.
Unread Feb 14th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #27
Makani
So and So, in the flesh

yeah i'm w/ everyone else on the "draw real lions thing". this is because TLK anatomy, i hate to break it to ya, is not really that correct. it's cartoonified..so it's easier to go from real life anatomy to tlk =). that's prolly why your having trouble w/ the body and legs of simba. you are good for just starting tho =D. of course, you have been drawing cartoon lions before-hand, and your in high school, so your skills prolly SHOULD be like that. So, I'm sure you'll get much much better after tracing and drawing some more, since you're already pretty on model w/ simba . great job !

present from The Black Cat! <3
Makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 14th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #28
Ayame
Banned

Okay, you seem like you could have some potential, so here's some things that either people told me and I didn't believe but should have or things I've figurerd out on my own. These are all things I really, really wish I knew back when I first started, and things I think most artists don't end up finding out untill they've been drawing for years.

-Do not try computer art anytime soon. Just don't. I mean you can experiement some, but don't invest in PSP or Photoshop for at least another year. You have to learn how to properly handle real media before you can start to try and imitate it (which is all computer art is about). God, I wish I'd have known this when I first started. Those smooth colors and clean lines might be tempting, but those can also be achieved with real media...and trust me, you can tell when someone's trying to hide a lack of skill with fancy photoshop.

-Draw all the time, and from life! Photographs (not drawings, not movie stills from animation) will work too, but life-drawing is what really improves your art. When you're drawing, say, from a picture of Simba, that's already been totally reduced to lines and colors for you and you're not actually doing any real mental work transfering it. Drawing from photographs is better because you have to translate it for yourself, but it's still already been flattened for you. When you draw from life, YOU have to make all the choices about where things end or change or have more volume or whatever.

Don't just draw your pet cats from life either. Draw trees. Draw your computer. Draw a soda bottle. Draw your feet. Draw a platypus (if you have acess to one..). You'd be amazed at how much drawing a picture of a house will improve your ability to draw other things, like the things you really want to draw. This is a very hard lesson to learn, but a very, very, very important one.

-Forget about style. Absolutly forget about it. A lot of times people read the word style very incorrectly. Style -for our sake- doesn't mean drawing something to look a certain way. Style is not voluntary. Style is what happens when you're just drawing those trees and soda bottles and platypuses and for some reason they all have little features in common just because you drew them. Right now you don't have a style, and that's how it should be. Style takes time to show itself. Just like you don't really know someone's personality when you first meet them, you don't really know your style when you first start drawing. Give it time, and it will come naturally.

-You don't need expensive art supplies. When I first started drawing I wasted so much money on the best pencils and the best markers and the best paints and brushes which I now know that I totally didn't need. A beginning artist can make just as good work with Crayola as with Prismacolor, and I'm absolutly certian about this. So don't worry about brands or anything right now, just buy the supplies with the prettiest colors in the box.

-Use different materials! A lot of new artists start off with pencil or colored pencil just because they're so natural, but I think it's very important to try new things. Go for some oil pastels or acrylic paints or markers or crayons or ink or watercolor or cut paper or charcol or whatever you feel like playing with. Not only is it fun to experiment, but it really gives you a well-rounded background.

-Don't be afraid to make bad drawings. You don't have to show off everything you do, and you most definatly can't expect to be happy with even most of the things you put out. This is a really hard concept for some people to grasp, but just remember that it's perfectly okay and expected to make art that looks crappy sometimes.

Alright, that's about all I've got right now. I really hope you'll take at least some of my advice, because I know I'd have really, really liked to know this a few years ago.
Ayame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 14th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #29
Pegasuss
forgot what she was saying... again.

They have good advice. Just a bit I've learned from experience-

Do art by hand first, and experiment. You'd be surprised how much doing one thing will help with doing others as well. Drawing horses as a kid made it much easier for me to draw antelope later. Drawing with a pencil helped me master the strokes and patterns I needed to make a decent CG piece. Experiment with different mediums. A lot of times when I'm drawing I get the urge to go sculpt something. :p Scultping can be incredibly helpful when trying to draw from different angles and perspecitives. A lot of people around here do one thing and do it well, but I always prefer an artist that had good variety in their work. Both in medium and subject matter. Practticing on real lions will make your TLK lions look more real. Drawing just Simba is fine, but by drawing characters with different features, you will refine in your mind the features that make Simba Simba and thus will draw him more on model.

Expensive programs do not make you a better artist. For the past three years I've been using a program that came free with my didgital camera. It is basically Paint with a gradient tool, mask options, and an airbrush. No layers, no fancy stuff at all. Tablets are better than mouses, if only because they save your wrist a lot of grief. However, up until a month ago I never used a tablet in my art, and in fact, I don't think I've uploaded any of the art I've done using a tablet yet. I actually have an easier time with the mouse, just because I'm used to it. So they are nice, but by no means necesary. (Both Brian, who runs the archive, and I are opinionated on the subject of stealing expensive art programs... *L* So there are definatly alternatives to spending lots of money/stealing.)

*L* Just realized I'm repeating Ayame here. She's awesome with critique and advice, so I think it's a good thing I sound like her. :p I was writing this without reading anyone elses so I could offer advice without just saying what everyone else had said, but I guess that backfired. *L*

To expand on her advice- life drawing is good. Go to the zoo and sketch the lions. Doesn't matter if they even look like lions. Make it sketchy and rough. Put rough ideas of their poses and angles on paper. Look and see if you can identify they from each other by their features (does one have large eyes? One have a blocky nose? Someone have a scar?) etc and see if you can make them look like individuals in your sketching. Plus, you can get lots of really neat ideas for pics that way. Mother lionesses are quite entertaining when they've become fed up with their cubs. :p Even if they sleep most of the time, you can get a nice range of expressions from watchign them for a few hours.

It really does depend on where you want to go with your art, though. If you intend drwaing TLK, and only TLK, you're fine to study TLK and real lions, but if you ever want to draw /anything/ other than just TLK, draw other things. Draw animals. Draw birds outside your window. Draw a tree. Draw yourself. If you decide later that you want to pursure art, having a basis in TLK style will hurt you quite a bit, as many people will testify.

Oh, yes. There are lots of supplies and such like lightboxes that good artists will use for animations, but they're a bit expensive. As long as you're just learning, I'd advise using a clear clipboard and a well lit window, which is what I always use. There's really no reason to spend bunches and bunches of money on supplies for a single animation.
Unread Feb 15th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #30
Leo
I'm your humble Leo, your friend of friends

Location: Where its very green, and tawny fur is most useless as camoflauge
Thanks much for your advice, both of you. I dont think you have any clue as to how much you just helped me with confidence and motivation. I am glad to say, and even more so to know its true, that I have acctualy started doing with what you all just mentioned. While I was on vacation I sat infront of a full sized mirror and drew myself, then used it to convey myself into a TLK comparible anthro, my alter ego if you will, LeadLion. I also spent about twenty or more so bucks at a craft store to get a drafter's brush, eraser pen, large soft white rubber eraser, four smooth ink, fine point pens, and about 13 prisma color penciles. I got them due to thier smoothness they do have. They are all rich, dark, and realitively base colors. Then a 50 pack of Crayola pencils (kinda sad that they are near as good, but all just $6, as apposed to $70).
I have a 700pk of stiff, thick, and glowingly white printer paper that I use to draw on, but am curious if there is an equally white paper, thats a little more suitible for art. Oh, and on a closing note, I had asked, and will recieve a nearly infanant supply of scrap clay, which could easily be rejuvinated with a little water. (problem being I dont have a Kilm, or a camera to show my end creations).
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 16th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #31
Sabrea

I everything Ayame and Pegs said.

As far as paper goes, I've tried lots and lots of stuff, and my favorite thing to sketch on is still plain white printer paper. For stuff I color with pencils or markers, I like bristol board--similar texture and appearance, only more substantial. There might be "better" options but I still prefer these.
Sabrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 16th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #32
Leo

I just did a pic in colored pencil. Prismacolor and Crayola, both worked together great, the discription is on my "who I am thread, since, it is me after all.

Last edited by LeadLion : Feb 16th, 2004 at 04:14 PM.
Unread Feb 17th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #33
Ayame
Banned

That full background is solid and, believe it or not, a very daring thing to do for a lot of people. You really do have a whole lot of potential!
Ayame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 17th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #34
Pegasuss
forgot what she was saying... again.

Ditto Ayame, as usual. :p

I really like the detail in the wood drawers. Very nice. I love wood textures. My only comments are that you might want to try using a ruler, your lines are a tad bit shakey, and you may want to study perspective a bit more, as you have some real potential in that area. This picture is already showing some great detail work, and I think some shading would really bring it to life if you ever choose to revisit it.
Unread Feb 17th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #35
Leo

Thanks! I do need to work on the lines, Things just get so sloppy when Im tryin to color them solidly. That realy is my room, looks better in there tho, lol. I have been trying to make a sig, but i just dont like the way everything comes out, every time. Not something I want to represent me anyhow. . .
Unread Feb 18th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #36
Leo

HEY! LOOK!!! I DID CG!!!!!! . . . . . . . . . . . . *bleck*. . . . .needs help. . . . .

Last edited by LeadLion : Feb 23rd, 2004 at 05:36 PM.
Unread Mar 9th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #37
Leo

OK, I need feed back on this pic I did for Mage. Anything I could have done better? Im thinking I shaded it too heavily.
Unread Mar 9th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #38
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

Which one for Mage?
Unread Mar 9th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #39
Leo

Uh, yeah, the attachment didnt load!? I tried fifty times!
Unread Mar 9th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #40
Kabaka
Relic

Hmm, that's odd. Attachments aren't exactly working right. Try uploading with a different skin. If not that, feel free to stick it on my site and link to that