The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Feb 11th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Leo
I'm your humble Leo, your friend of friends

Location: Where its very green, and tawny fur is most useless as camoflauge
Progression?

I've said this before Im sure, but Im totaly new to TLK art. But it seemed to me to be a good challenge and so I tried it. HARD STUFF! So I started by tracing Simba's face out, and one pose. Then I redrew that face next to it, then drew Simba and Nala just below using another picture for reference. I could tell you every place I screwed up at, but Im not gonna :]. I Will alwase, ALWASE admit to tracing any pic I show, just so you know. Here is my end product.

One question, how is it I could draw them so well when I never practiced in my life?Not boasting, Im asking that seriously!
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 04:03 AM   #2
Koudoawaia
Storm Dragoness

Heh heh, you probably had the talent buried inside you your whole life, and you're finally letting it out. I have to say you are making good progress. We all started out reffing off TLK pics to help us get better. The Simba head not traced doesn't look that much different from the traced one. You're doin good thus far^^ Just keep practicing and you won't even need to look off of pics
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #3
Leo

Im workin so hard on it Im acctualy takin my TLK coloring books to highschool with me for whenever I get a chance to draw. Theres no fealing like walking through those huge stone-arch doors with such a childhood artifact in my bag. But I dont care, IM DRAWING AGAIN!!!
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 04:50 AM   #4
Kabaka
Relic

Childhood artifact? Naaah... Nothin' wrong with that. Lol. Your art looks great! You're making progress! Keep at it!

Oh, one reallyunimportant, picky comment: Simba has 3 hairs in his ears. Other than that, those were flawless. That none-traced picture shows a lot of potential. Eek, I have to go.
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #5
Leo

This is how I drew lions before! It just dawned on me I could do this. . . .

Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #6
Koudoawaia
Storm Dragoness

Hey I really love the shading in that one^^
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #7
Kabaka
Relic

Hmm, that's strangely familiar....
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #8
Little-Bird
Jokerman.

Cool. ^^

You are making very good progress. You seem to be learning very quickly. ^^

I have a couple little tips of advice, though, before you get too somfortable with drawing straight from Lion King pictures, try to find some pictures of real lions and try to draw those. Believe me, I wish I had done that straight from the off. Drawing real lions help with your sense of anatomy, and it also helps refine an original style for yourself.

Keep going down the road your going, and you'll get even better!
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #9
Kabaka
Relic

Whoa, completeyly forgot to say that... That's right, real lions really help with anatomy... I didn't spend much time on them... maybe that's why I'm having troubles.
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #10
Leo

Face feautures and such are tough to pin down cause lions are as diverse in looks as we are.
I saw an ugly lion with curly hair and a very wierd nose, then a cool lion whith a nose that reminded me of a hood crest of a late 50's model sedan. As for their bodies, well I was pretty sure I had them down to an art. But their leggs are kind of hard to perfect as well.
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #11
Kabaka
Relic

Legs = my current problem. Faces are real easy for me, but I practiced them more. There's my mistake... I did very little body drawing, and now it's giving my trouble.
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #12
Leo

New pic on TLKFAA! It was my first TLK tracing, a rather rough form of Simba, too many think he's Scar. I would like to have an avatar soon, cant stand not having one for once. Funnily enough, on all other forums my avatar was Naniki off of FF7(aka Red XIII). But Ive been wanting one more, say, me?
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #13
Kabaka
Relic

Funnily? I use that word, mentally, a lot. Interesting...

Anyway...
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #14
Leo

The mentally oriented coincadences of this world are pretty outstanding huh?
(am I the only one who understood that statement?lol)
Unread Feb 12th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #15
Leo

A huge collection of cub Simbas different expressions, all traced of course. Just thought that they might help someone out.

This lower one where his cheek is quite well streched is were his mothers giving him a bath, the enter pic is quite cute realy.
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 04:42 AM   #16
Kabaka
Relic

Might come in handy... **snatches**
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #17
Leo

I've got faces down quite well now! Observe. . .

I used other pics to go by of course, but hey! They werent traced!
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #18
Leo

Man! I've gotten goo-OOD! But how!? Iam being bothered so much by that, not that Im complaining mind you. I did this one ALL my own, no refference pic.

I was testing a new invention of mine, a program and VR headset that taps into your mind, and regenerates the world of TLK as it exists in your mind. It was a succes, so I brought my drawing stuff with me this time, and popped up a wase away from cub Simba. I dropped my stuff and dived down into a ditch blocked by grasses and such, and watched as Simba came up to my bag. I pulled out a mini sketchpad and pencil was able to catch this sketch, he had just glanced at me. I was doing good till looked down at the pic a sec, then looked up and there he was in my face. I was just a little supprised and so was he. One of us, guess who, left with a pretty scratch. I left my stuff there though, I'll pick it up later. . .

*Ooo, thats good. I'll keep up my TLK missadventures in Simbas site if he gives me a sub-domain.*
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #19
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

"One question, how is it I could draw them so well when I never practiced in my life?Not boasting, Im asking that seriously!"

Probably because you have watched TLK so many times, and paid attention to character design for one ^^ And you just have natural talent and urge to draw.
But that isnt saying you dont have to or shouldnt practice, but if you draw alot anyway, that is practicing

Try to expand your art, like your second picture drawing with your own style. Nothing is wrong with TLK fanart though.

Try using colour and inks, anything is possible!
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #20
Leo

Im goin on a two day escapade in another town as of today. I found twenty bucks that somehow got past my video game addiction and grabbed it to pick up some more supplies. I need a reply on this ASAP. . . .

What should I look for specifficaly? Im already getting this:
Crayola/RoseArt 42pk Color pencile set. .
any good combination of fine point pens
TLK books (just for reference on poses and such)
.5mm pencil lead (even though I still have alot left)
good small lamp with as white and pure a lite as possible.
Good markers (as many colors as possible)
Paint set (as many colors as possible)
Water colors (very handy in doing sunsets and such)

Problem? I can only go to Walmart, and only have twenty bucks.

I already have this:
Paper (good thick and pure white printer paper)
tracing paper pad
sketch pad (a little too grainy for my taste but OL)

I may not get any reply on this in time, but it will still help.

Edit* BTW, what did you think of the mini story below the pick, wasnt corny was it?
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #21
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

Instead of using a TLK book for reference, you should be using real lions for pose referencing, unless this is for TLK fanart or the such.
I got all my stuff at Loomis & Toles (Prisma markers and Tria), Dollarama and Wal Mart. You dont need popular brand names stuff either, I have seen amazing art come from Dollar store markers and pencils!
You can get TLK books at a second hand bookstore too, I found one of the 6 Adventures books at one XD
For pens, I use Microns. The 005 are *very* fine tipped, I use those alot for detail.
You dont need all of that stuff or anything expensive. Just fool around with different stuff, hell, I've used food colouring for watercolours! XD
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #22
Leo

Thanks! I wish most of all I had PSP. But I dont, so Im gonna hafta do the cool effects and stuff another way. Thankfully Im one of the many people who understand that the method and effect you use and get in painting is as simple as commen sence. I'll keep my out for some Microns, Im all for detail. My freinds cant stand it, they cant ask for one simple pic from me without getting a handfull of articulate detale as well. Its habit though.

Right now Im fealing very, very, very, artistic. Id sculpt something up had I some clay, Id wittel out something as well. I just have that super rare, super "into it" mood right now, and I normaly do some good stuff when I get like this.

BTW, I think I mentioned 8+ hours I spent researching lions somewhere in here, I realy did spend 8+ hours too!*lol* I dont know why, anywase, I know enough to be able to add my own "pazaa" to my works, right now I just want to get good at the fan-art, as it seems most popular in the archive (gee I wonder why). *sigh* supposed to be hedding off now but my moms takeing forever to get everything ready, I already offered help too. . .
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #23
Leo

(Ups! dble post!)

Im still open to suggestions on supplies, but have another question. How do you guys do the animating? A song I just heard made me come up with a cool scene in my head about one of my characters. The song was from Disturbed I think, Its called "get down with the sickness".
Any clues as to what the animations gonna be of? : P
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #24
EndlessNight
blau und weiß wie lieb ich dich

Quote:
Man! I've gotten goo-OOD!

Quote:
One question, how is it I could draw them so well when I never practiced in my life?

Hmm...
EndlessNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 13th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #25
Vekke
Banned

You might want to learn to draw real lions first (just looking at them might not help, you don't know if you're really seeing them correctly until you draw them. And it doesn't need to be super detailed, sketches will do. ), because TLK is UBER stylized, and if you don't know what real lions look like, you won't really know why you're drawing it that way. The anatomy is exaggerated, for one. The front legs appear as seperate from the body in TLK, when in reality, those legs seem to merge with the chest. The noses are almost rectangular, when IRL they are very triangular. Simba's eyes are HUGE. Real lion's paws are flat. And that doesn't cover half of it. o_o

And also if you ever want to go into professional art, you have to use your OWN cartooning style, and if you learned to draw lions through Simba, you'll have a DAMN hard time breaking out of the style. Believe me, I'm in that position, and it's not fun.

It's kind of like a rumor. Or the game "telephone" that you might have played as a little kid. Hear it from the source, you'll have your own interpretation of it. If you learn from someone else's interpretation, facts might get skewed.

Also, I'd reccomend Photoshop (photoshop elements if you're low on cash, which is only a TINY bit more expensive then paint shop pro) for digital artwork. Sure, it has it's own share of cheap shortcuts, but they aren't as bad as some of PSP's. If you have money, You might want to get both, though. I find them each good for different things. PSP takes up less RAM, is quicker to open, good for file browsing to view reference pictures, web design graphics, etc, but the only side of art it's good for is the lines. Its airbrush sucks. Photoshop is nice for artwork of any kind, but not graphics, and there are billions of tutorials for it if you get stuck (most work in Elements, too). Buying both though, will keep you open to techniques you might find in tutorials. Nothing against you or anything if you can't afford both, of course. Just that Adobe Photoshop (Elements) is the way to go if you do actual ART art (rather than web graphic design), and can only buy one program.

Last edited by Eva : Feb 13th, 2004 at 09:47 PM.
Vekke is offline   Reply With Quote