The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Dec 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Zorayda
Winged ball of emotions

One of my best works, but I know I can improve!

I did this as a commission, and I'm proud of it... but I know I can keep improving. Any suggestions?

Zorayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Brie

This is really good! You should be proud!

From the looks of it, just by looking at it, I would say to try and try to make those shadows a but more pronounced. It looks like from where the position of the sun is, and how the bodies are positioned (especially the lioness), she should have a bit more shadow where the sun is not touching her.

But then...is this a sunset, or a sunrise? Cause you're going to have different kinds of light. I feel like you'll see more yellows in a sunrise, and more darker oranges and purples in a sunset. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please! LoL)
I would almost suggest using this scene from TLK 2 as reference for a sunset scene:

Link, since the photo is WAY too big to put on here nicely.

In regards to a sunrise: Link This is really the only example I have, unfortunately. I just wanted to show how more of the body was shadowed off if it was facing away from the sun.

This seems long, but it's really just a color adjustment suggestion.
But it looks really great! Their faces are lovely, I still have problems drawing them facing away from the viewer at an angle, but the male face looks great!

Weasyl ... DeviantArt ... TLKFAA

AKA Zentina

Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Brie

This is really good! You should be proud!

From the looks of it, just by looking at it, I would say to try and try to make those shadows a but more pronounced. It looks like from where the position of the sun is, and how the bodies are positioned (especially the lioness), she should have a bit more shadow where the sun is not touching her.

But then...is this a sunset, or a sunrise? Cause you're going to have different kinds of light. I feel like you'll see more yellows in a sunrise, and more darker oranges and purples in a sunset. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please! LoL)
I would almost suggest using this scene from TLK 2 as reference for a sunset scene:

Link, since the photo is WAY too big to put on here nicely.

In regards to a sunrise: Link This is really the only example I have, unfortunately. I just wanted to show how more of the body was shadowed off if it was facing away from the sun.

This seems long, but it's really just a color adjustment suggestion.
But it looks really great! Their faces are lovely, I still have problems drawing them facing away from the viewer at an angle, but the male face looks great!

AKA Zentina

Unread Dec 27th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Brie

Did it double post??? I'm sorry, can we delete that? And I guess this message, too. I don't think I can do that myself, can I?

AKA Zentina

Unread Dec 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Zorayda
Winged ball of emotions

Hmm, I do see what you mean! The light should be brighter and more of the body should be shadowed away from the sunlight. *takes notes* I also think it would help some of the body parts look more 'round'. I felt like some of it was a bit flat.

This helps, though :3
Unread Dec 27th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Kasei
Lurker Extraordinarre

I think the shadowing thing will help a lot with the flatness you are talking about. It looks good though! You did a nice job on the colors!

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Facebook

“Be the change you want to see in the world." ~ Ghandi
Kasei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 28th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #7
TSWGray
The Spotted Warrior

Wow, this picture is lovely <3 That background is just gorgeous, and the characters' poses were very well executed =3 I agree with the others about the shading, but since they've already got that covered I guess all I can see is that both characters' necks seem just a tad bit too long.
But shading and necks aside, this really is a beautiful piece!
~Gray
"Never stop. Never stop fighting. Never stop dreaming. And don't be afraid of wearing your heart on your sleeve ... I felt like my voice wasn't worth hearing, and I think everyone's voice is worth hearing. So if you've got something to say, say it from the rooftops." - Tom Hiddleston
TSWGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Azerane
CAT!

The shadows on the lioness were the first thing I picked up on too, so that's a definite one there I like the clouds, though for lack of a better word they look a bit stiff and solid. Like they need to be looser and fluffier.

Also, once you give the lioness some good shadows, the rock surface may look a little out of place so that might need some shadowing too Love the textures in the rock though, and the characters both look amazing.
Azerane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Zorayda
Winged ball of emotions

@TSWGray You know, I've have people tell me that before--I draw necks too long. I'll have to watch that and study anatomy a bit before finalizing a pose.

@Azerane Hmm, I did think that the clouds were a bit too formed... this was my first time trying them out, so I was unsure how to fix that. But I'll definitely practice.

I did seem to neglect the rock's shading, huh? I'll have to remember to be consistent.

Thanks guys!
Unread Dec 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #10
TSWGray
The Spotted Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtobabe
@TSWGray You know, I've have people tell me that before--I draw necks too long. I'll have to watch that and study anatomy a bit before finalizing a pose.

It's super easy to make them too long, I do it too, especially with my males. I'm not sure if you do this already, but drawing males without their manes first (actually drawing their neck even if you're not going to see it in the finished drawing) really helps catch any giraffe-like necks that may be sneaking up XD I know I need to get better at doing this! =3
~Gray
"Never stop. Never stop fighting. Never stop dreaming. And don't be afraid of wearing your heart on your sleeve ... I felt like my voice wasn't worth hearing, and I think everyone's voice is worth hearing. So if you've got something to say, say it from the rooftops." - Tom Hiddleston
TSWGray is offline   Reply With Quote