The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > General Discussion > Polls & Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Oct 5th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Brie

Children's Book Charging Question

I've recently been considered to illustrate a 13 page children's book (I'd be doing 7 pages of art).
It's literally my first job offer to do actual published art for pay, and I just don't know what I should do in regards to money.
I know it's relative, but I just want to make sure I don't sell myself sort.
Considering my lack of experience in commission art, and my years of personal experience with drawing in general......
Sigh. I don't know. I don't know what to do.

Weasyl ... DeviantArt ... TLKFAA

AKA Zentina

Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 19th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Aerazura
the listener

I used to do small projects for a mini magazine type of thing and I got paid 20bucks a page. Though, it was small images and I was only 16 at the time. It really depends on what your time is worth to you, I guess. Don't sell yourself short, maybe see what they are offering, then negotiate depending on what they offer you?
Aerazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 27th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Kasei
Lurker Extraordinarre

I dunno if you are still dealing with this question, but here is a good video that will maybe help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJo1_5TsPY

It's kind of long, but he's got a lot of experience in the children's book industry and is worth the watch as he specifically talks about children's books in the video.

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Facebook

“Be the change you want to see in the world." ~ Ghandi
Kasei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 28th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #4
Timitu
Super Moderator

I was offered 1500$ when I was going to do one. At first I thought that was a lot of money for it but then I see how much time is put into it.

Second piece of advice, much like commissions do not do the whole thing and send it to them. Send your sketches first and see if they like those for the pages. I did the whole book, it took two days to do. Had it all done and sent it in all proud and happy to be done and found out they wanted one of the characters to look completely different so I had to go redo the whole thing again. :( Not something you want to run into. So when doing something this big send each page as a sketch just to make sure before you start into colour and details and such.

Good luck with it.

LKFAA / DA Archive / Facebook / Secret Santa Facebook Group / Secret Santa DA Club / YouTube
RIP Vanessa (Sarah Mercury) 1986 - 2014

Timitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 30th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Brie

Thanks for all of the advice, guys!
I think the offer fell through, only cause I think she was looking for someone to basically do the whole book for like $50.
She said she's been looking for a long time, and this is probably why she can't find an illustrator. LoL
But I'll keep all of this advice on the back burner just in case, and also for possible future endeavors.

Weasyl ... DeviantArt ... TLKFAA

AKA Zentina

Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 30th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #6
Kasei
Lurker Extraordinarre

Unfortunately that seems to be the general mindset of a lot of people looking for book illustrators, especially in the self-publishing world. Just about everyone who has ever asked me to illustrate for them has asked me to do it for free. Almost like they're doing me a favor by letting me partner with them on this great project of theirs. u_u I think people just don't realize how long it takes to actually illustrate something and that the time spent working on their project is time you can't spend on other jobs.

TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Facebook

“Be the change you want to see in the world." ~ Ghandi
Kasei is offline   Reply With Quote