The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Nov 27th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Anuvia
The Original Pink Fluff

ho-hum....first image post here...little critique please?

Er, yea....I hope this dosn't get me into trouble since the image isn't related to this fourm, but I need a little constructive criticism if I may trouble you fine people for some ;

Alright, just to explain the overly smudged look, I was going for a dreamy type of look, but it failed..it just looks like I am smudge happy >_-

This is my first attempt at a real background, usualy I just draw a character and throw a white bg in.

The entire picture was thrown together in Paint Shop Pro 7.0, no scanner for me
er yea?

I need to know what's wrong with it, because something is bothering me and I can't put my finger on it, aside from the fact the dorsal fin is pooey.

thankies ^^;
Anuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 27th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #2
va-kasi

There isn't any "off-topic" on Lilymud so it's fine

Nice picture One little thing that bothers me is the composition. It's very weighty on the right-side. Just putting the moon on the left side instead or something like that to even it out may help

Another thing; the sea. It's very "flat"... well not really flat as such but it looks like the waves are a cardboard cutout just sitting at the bottom. Maybe you could add abit of a persective and have the sea fadeing out into the horizon/sky to give it abit more depth?

edit: ehe, just another thing... The lighting of the sky is very intense, I don't know much about water but I think some of that lighing should reflect on the water, crystal like Maybe i'll go find some refs or something.

Anyway, they're just little things. It's a wonderful picture how it is
va-kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 28th, 2004, 05:28 AM   #3
Pegasuss
forgot what she was saying... again.

I love those clouds! I can never get them to come out right, myself...

What is the black fog in front of the moon? It looks like it wants to be shadow, but it's darker than the area behind the moon.

The water looks sort of fuzzy, another very difficult problem. Like Va Kasi said, I'd add little water reflections, even if you wanted to leave the dreamy-smudgy look.

And it's terrible distracting that all the birds are identical! Once I noticed that I can't draw my eye away from it. They don't have to be terribly detailed at that distance, so take the time to draw them.

I really do love the atmosphere of this pic.
Unread Nov 28th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #4
Anuvia
The Original Pink Fluff

thankies guys, I added in the water horizion line on the original, and I'll fix the moon and the birds ^^;
Anuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 28th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Tellerz
Take a picture and laugh about it later

The whale seems to blend into the water a bit, probably because they are both smudgy. Maybe if you added some highlight to it, it would seem shiney, and look nice.

-TLKFAA-DeviantART-SheezyART-LiveJournal-

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
I are having magical rainbow rep points
Tellerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #6
Migrant Mother
Banned

Lovely image. The color scheme in the sky is gorgeous, and I like the peaceful feeling of the scene.

Waves (and water in general) are notoriously difficult subjects in art. Try pulling up some reference images on Google. You probably want to lighten/ add highlights to the waves as you go higher up the crest; it has been my experience that the water is "thinner" at the curl and allows more light through. Or, depending on the angle, the water at the curl might be highlighted.
Reference 1
Ref 2

Ref 3
(all pulled from Google image search for "wave")
Note: Even though a lot of stylizations show the spray blowing forward, in reality the water spray blows back behind the wave.

I actually tried tackling a similar composition about a year ago. The colors came out nice but the waves don't look very good. But feel free to take a gander and see if you get any ideas for color in the water. And if you want, here are two pics (one and two) showing ocean colors at sunset. Okay, I'm done plugging my dA gallery.

I'd also recommend sharpening and brightening the yellow highlights on the whale. You may want to bring some pale yellow into the spray, too. And perhaps you could make the whale a bit shiney from the water.

Do you have any specified sex for the whale? The way it is now, the orca is probably a she. If you want a male, you need to make a longer, straight dorsal fin.
Male
Female

Looking forward to the final. I hope this helps some.

Last edited by Migrant Mother : Nov 29th, 2004 at 06:09 PM.
Migrant Mother is offline   Reply With Quote