The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Feb 27th, 2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Aidan
Durrr, silly Bridget!

Just a picture. >.<

Pathetic excuse for a background, and the coloring is half-assed, but what do you think of the drawing itself? :> I realize there's not much to critique -- it's not even full-body. So, if you like, go ahead and give me some tips on my sketch coloring. ;> It'd be appreciated. Just keep in mind that I don't think this to be one of my 'better' pictures, and I realize that the coloring's got plenty of faults. Still learning how to color sketches in Photoshop.

Anywayy. Mucho critique is fine. :> I can't take it, I promise.

- Aidan | http://strema.net/aidan
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 27th, 2002, 08:12 PM   #2
Malaika
VIVA LA REVOLUCION

I like the colors and how some of the spots are more blended in. *thinks* the only thing that looks kinda upto place is the one cheek that sticks out....for some reason it doesn't look right. Anyway it's still better then mine
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 28th, 2002, 04:23 AM   #3
EscaflowneTwilight
Where's my D.Gray-man?

Yes, the way the cheek sticks out is incorrect . . . it should just go down a bit flatter. It makes the cheecks somewhat uneven. Also, the neck is generally thinner than the body, and I think you should have lessened the width of the neck a bit. I really can't find anything else wrong with it, it's a pretty good pic, and I'm not really qualified to make such comments, but, eh . . ^^;;
hope I didn't sound rude

Twilight's current emotion:hey, are you dead?

"The very concept of time travel makes no sense, since time doesn't flow. The fact that we think time passes is just an accident of our nervous systems--of the way things look to us. In reality, time doesn't pass; we pass. Time itself is invariant. It just is. Therefore, past and future aren't seperate locations, the way New York and Paris are seperate locations. And since the past isn't a location, you can't travel to it."

my website :
Trance Anime

†i protect kamui â€

EscaflowneTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 28th, 2002, 09:41 AM   #4
Pinali
Save the Murlocs!

Okay, I agree with the others on the cheek and the neck Also the chest (fur on the chest I mean) is way too high up unless he's hanging his head. Also the bridge of the nose is a little too wide and doesn't really match up with how you drew the eye, you might want to make the end of the line connecting to the left side of the nose connect with the tear duct of the eye while sketching to get the right proportions. That's about all I can spot right now, sorry if I sounded mean or anything :p

[The Lion King] [DeviantART] [LiveJournal] [E-Mail and MSN] [Skype Pinali-]
Pinali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 28th, 2002, 11:31 AM   #5
Aidan
Durrr, silly Bridget!

Nah, none of you were mean! n.n; I asked for opinions and criticism, and that's what I got. :> I noticed the cheek thing when I was drawing it, but wasn't sure how much of an impact it'd make -- now I know. ^^; I see what you mean about the nose and eye, as well, Pin'. :> Wasn't paying attention. n.n

Thanks, you three! n.n; I can't exactly change this picture (Unwilling to put the right amount of effort into it to change the sketch. That's me, lazy. ^^;), but I'll make sure to check for things like that next time 'm'drawing and foo. n.n

Unread Feb 28th, 2002, 12:27 PM   #6
Snowy
What maximum word count?

Perty colors and spotted-ness

But, to the critique, yeah, the left eye/cheek is a bit off. I think what you need to do is raise the eyebrow, lessen the degree of slant along the line from the top of the muzzle to the eyebrow, and tilt the eye upward a bit to give the illusion of distance. That should basically just stretch things out a bit so that the cheek winds up being smoother. I like the fluffiness, though.

I second what Pin said about the muzzle. The broadness makes the nose pad look crooked. And Pin's got it down on how to fix that.

I think the reason the neck looks too thick and the fluff on the chest too high is because you've got him sitting straight as a board and virtually perpendicular to the ground. That's...not right. See the line for the spine from his shoulders? You've got it largely concave. The only spot on the spine that should be concave is the small of the back, between the shoulders (and showing slightly behind as it curves back out). From there down should be at least gently convex. That'd also make the underbelly more concave than you've got it so that it'd more or less follow the general sweap of the spine.

Other than that, I think it's just matters of style. You know, maybe it's just me, but the way the sketch lines are almost gives them a texture of having been drawn with a charcoal pencil. Neat
Unread Feb 28th, 2002, 01:38 PM   #7
Aidan
Durrr, silly Bridget!

/Grah/! I see what you mean about the spine, and how she's sitting almost 'perpendicular.' O.O; Can't believe I missed that, really. n.n; Ever since you whipped up those tutorial pictures which showed how the shoulders and hips were in relation to each other, I've pretty much managed to keep that stuff in line. ;> Ah well! Mistake. n.n; Nothin' new. Thanks, though, for pointing it out to me! ^^ I hadn't seen it before, and I wasn't quite sure -what- was wrong with the chest, although things did look wonky. :>

The pencil lines did come out darker and sketchier than intended; I doodled the picture itself late at night with a dark pencil, and the sketch came out -messy- as heck. ;> Glad it made an all right effect on you, though. n.n

Thanks, Snowy! *cling* :>

Unread Feb 28th, 2002, 05:13 PM   #8
Snowy
What maximum word count?

Whoops! Kept refering to her as a him. Can I blame that on studying for chemistry? Sure I can!

Glad to hear those tutorials have been of help.

Yup. Looks neat as immitation charcoal

Welcome
Unread Feb 28th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #9
Aidan
Durrr, silly Bridget!

Well, s'just a random character, so I chose a random gender when drawing; female. ^^; No real way to tell, unless you recognize the lyrics, which're sung by a female -- and that's still an iffy way. -- .. *pauses* I'm babbling. XD *skedaddles 'way. ;>*