The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Oct 16th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Drago
Since 2006!

Skin Printer

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-ce...ters-20110221/

What do you guys think?
I think, in a way, it's kind of scary/creepy that technology has come to this level (it's just so advanced!). But at the same time it's so cool that you can save lives by a printer that prints skin right ONTO to patient.
Just talking about this in class right now, I thought I'd share!
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #2
Nashida
Works for The Mouse

I was confused at first, when I read the title I thought it sounded like another way of getting a tattoo by printing it right on your skin.

Now that I'm seeing what's essentially a medical version of a computer printer spitting out sheets of skin instead of A4s, I'm not sure what to think. Part of me is like "Cool, science rocks!" but the rest of me is going "Ummm, creepy." My skin actually crawled a bit.
Nashida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 16th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Drago
Since 2006!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashida
I was confused at first, when I read the title I thought it sounded like another way of getting a tattoo by printing it right on your skin.

Now that I'm seeing what's essentially a medical version of a computer printer spitting out sheets of skin instead of A4s, I'm not sure what to think. Part of me is like "Cool, science rocks!" but the rest of me is going "Ummm, creepy." My skin actually crawled a bit.

LOL Never though that it could be taken that way!! Ahaha oh god if they did tattoos that way, I can see it as being virtually painless..... then you'd have way too many people walking around with full body tattoos...... eheh....not really a fan of the whole tattoo thing myself..

But yeah, you pretty much summed up how I feel, too!
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 17th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #4
ClearGreenWater
Freakishly Infamous Acronym

Wow, that's....yeah, somewhere between cool & creepy. Cool that it's useful and glad it's being further developed for medical patients, creepy that...

There's this local interest historical oddity story, and I'm sure there's similar histories in other areas just on account of culture over 200 years ago, about a murderer named Antoine Le Blanc in the 1800s. When they finally caught him, they hanged him as a matter of course--and then made souvenier WALLETS out of his skin to commemorate the occassion, one of the libraries has one of them in it's museum collection.

I just keep thinking of that skin wallet.

And sheets of it just printing out with people sitting there with darning needles like an assembly line making fresh ones.

And a whole crop of them going around.

D:

ClearGreenWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 17th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #5
ClearGreenWater
Freakishly Infamous Acronym

(double post, it got hung up.)

ClearGreenWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 17th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
EndlessNight
blau und weiß wie lieb ich dich

Oh dude as someone with a rare genetic disease(related to this one you may have seen on documentaries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermolysis_bullosa) that effects not only the skin itself but also skin production and healing; and which is prone to spontaneous tears that can be nearly impossible to heal I am like a million high fives for the doctors who developed this.

Anyone who's ever had to have a stretcher implanted to get skin to graft or had a sliced off graft knows that it hurts SO bad.

Yay for the creepy skin printer!

I bet a tattoo would have to be done in layers or it would eventually be sluffed off(over the course of years- which might actually be a good thing, it would make tattoos only semi-permanent.)

-----
Ich bin als Schalker geboren,
Lebe als Schalker,
Und werde als Schalker sterben!!

Ameya "Kazamidori" Dobson 13/06/82-13/10/08 Always in my heart
EndlessNight is offline   Reply With Quote