The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Nov 15th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #1
Couragose
A speck of dust inside a giant's eye.

Composition help?

Uh, hi. I'm back in here again! <_<
Okay, so. This is the blueprint image I've been working on for the past day- General cliché'd approaching the end of the cave scene. Ah... For those of you who don't share my terminology, this is just a planner image. I'm going to paint over it once I get everything sorted out. :D
I'd really like this one to turn out, which is why I'm asking for critique here. I know the stalactite nearest the viewer is off, so I'm planning on working on that. Resources for rocks/general rocky tips and overall composition critique would be greatly appreciated also, and if there's anything else you want to say on it, go ahead. I don't mind the harsher side of criticism, as well.

Sorry if the file seems a bit compressed- As I was mainly looking for critique on composition, I didn't see any reason to double the filesize of an already large image. If you want the full sized image, just ask me, and I'll attach it. I'm working in Painter 8, if that's any help. And as a last note, the oversized ears are part of the character design- That's an intentional mistake. :P

Sorry if I sound a bit round about, also. It's the hot summer air settling in.

Last edited by Couragose : Nov 15th, 2004 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Downsized the file's size. :D
Couragose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 17th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #2
Snowy
What maximum word count?

Did a quick google for cave images and came up with a few things of possible interest:

Perhaps too minimalist of a background

A site full of photos from a wide variety of caves

Perhaps the closest to what you were going for?

Sorry, no time (and not enough sleep) for a competent critique, so hopefully the photos will be of help instead ^^;
Unread Nov 18th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Ayame
Banned

Snowy gave you some awesome referances to use for perfecting that cave, and there's a few things I'd like to add in general about caves and just for composition's sake. You don't usually find big open areas like that at the mouth of a cave, plus you've got an awful lot of empty space. A few big collums, maybe a few stalegtites just barely meeting stalegmites, and big, lumpy formations would add more interest and would help move the viewer's eye around the picture.Maybe crop a couple hundred pixels off the bottom to help make the wolf more of the focal point, too.

This scene you've got has the potential for some really cool effects with the light that comes in through the opening- I'd like to see the finished product!
Ayame is offline   Reply With Quote