The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Mar 11th, 2002, 07:53 AM   #1
Majestic
Artist and White Lion Lover

Honest critique

I just need people to look at my recent and old art and tell me if i am progressing? my techniques...? any flaws? i just want someone to comment on my style lately.....i dont care if you tear my heart apart i just want some type of response.....good or bad.....and suggestions would be great too.....any help you all can offer i am willing to listen. i dont know....just tell me where i stand....amoung the other artists here. i havent really had a pic critique before soooo.....be gentle.

Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2002, 12:45 PM   #2
Jamala
potbellysquishyness

A'right...In th' picture you gave the link to...I personally think it's pretty good. :) Bu' I think it has a -little- too much detail. Like with the fur texture and sunglasses, y'know? Try not to put too much detail in the picture, when that happens it kinda makes your eyes wander over everything other than the picture in itself.

Also, what program do you use? You might want to use a layer or two when you do your pictures. :) It'd make the outline come out more, I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems that the fur texture kinda goes over the lines, breaking it up so you can't see it that much anymore? If you used a layer the outline could be over the texture...

Keep it up! :)
Jamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2002, 12:56 PM   #3
Majestic

ok will work on that next time....yea i did have a problem with the overlapping of fur....sort of making it look like there wasnt any defining lines.....it was a learning experience, i'm just getting the hang of this fur thing. i cant help but love detail....but yea i think your right...maybe i went to far with this one LOL!
Unread Mar 12th, 2002, 12:17 PM   #4
Majestic

Unhappy ??

Anyone else?
Unread Mar 12th, 2002, 12:48 PM   #5
Snowy
What maximum word count?

Hmm, probably the biggest thing for me on this is the fur. It's not the detail I see as a problem but rather that you don't have all of the fur going in the proper directions. The contrast between the white eye circle and the surrounding orange fur is particularly jarring. Might want to review directional fur patterns next time you take the hair by hair approach.

The only other thing that's really bugging me is probably a nitpicker complaint on my part, but I'm gonna point it out anyway. Tiger's don't have slitted pupils -- none of the pantherines do --, but, rather, have round ones.

Personally, I don't mind extreme detail ('swhy I comp color the way I do ), and the bright highlight on the glasses provides a nice focal point despite the detail present in the picture. Neat.
Unread Mar 12th, 2002, 01:03 PM   #6
Majestic

the slit pupil was requested...i know tigers do not have slit pupils....i myself am a cat/wild cat lover....and know this all too well.

the fur....yes i understand...it was the most difficult part of the piece...its something to work on, it is a learning experience and my first attempt with its filters so i will pay more attention to the directions of the fur. thanks snowy
Unread Mar 12th, 2002, 02:22 PM   #7
Snowy
What maximum word count?

Ah, requested. Well, no way for me to have known, 'swhy I pointed it out

Hmm, my suggestion would maybe be to move away from relying on a filter to get a fur effect. Nothing like hands-on control for getting direction, blending, and fluffy or whispy hair just the way you want it.