The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > The Community > The Art Project Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Razzi
It's perpetually Christmas in my world

The Monthly Mud 2008

Happy 2008, everyone!

Some of you may remember "The Monthly Mud", a attempt at a Lilymud-wide newspaper that only lasted one issue. Well, Tamu and I have decided to bring it back, and to do so, we've created a method that we believe to be foolproof in keeping the newspaper in tact with new issues for months and months to come.

To do this, Tamu and I are becoming the editors-in-chiefs and the back-up sources for everything. For some articles, such as interviews or contest lists, we’ll be in control completely. But for all the other articles, we’re going to ask for member participation. Basically, if you see an article or contribution idea that catches your eye, whether it’s because you have a great idea for a comic or just saw a movie you want to warn people not to see, go right ahead and speak your mind!
There will be no slots promised to anyone until the actual submission is made!* That way, no one is tied down to one article if they get busy, and no one is forced away from speaking their mind! If a certain article has no submissions, Tamu and I will make one to replace it so there will always be something.

What will be in this (online) newspaper? Here's a list of some of the articles-

AotM Interviews- Editors-in-Cheifs and AotM Ask the AotM winner of that month (or previous months, in the case of the AotM being unavailable for answering them) a series of questions

comicsfreelance members Any member can post a fairly-short humorous comic with no limitations except what Lilymud Rules deem appropriate

reviews freelance Any member can post a review of any sort of entertainment they’ve enjoyed...or not! (movies, plays, books, games, etc)

random articles- freelance If a member has info about something either online or offline and wants the community to know, they can post here.

letter to the editors- freelance If a member has an opinion they want known, whether it is about something featured earlier or not, they can say so here

Random Questions! column -Editors and Random Members We ask random members a list of random questions and post their replies (one member per month)

Picture Of The Month- Editors The Editors find something canon that blows them away uploaded that month and posts it, writing a short explanation of why it’s so fantastic

Monthly Discussion Topic or poll freelance One of the cohosts publish a thread about TLK and we print three or four great answers that share different opinions

*Roog's Rants- Roog We ask Roog to enlighten us on some of the things that make him mad (**This is the only slot (edit: SO FAR) in which it is promised to one member singularly)

Other random bits of humor- freelance anyone can rant, publish jokes, or submit something to make us smile and laugh

Monthly Festivities- Freelance and editorsMembers post pictures with month-related themes, articles about holidays in the month, stories about the month, and editors publish a list of the monthly contests (and archive contest) for members' intrest.

Quotes Of The Month- freelance anyone shares a favourite funny, interesting quotes that people have posted on Lilymud in the last month

Calendar-Editorswe put up a calendar listing the birthdays of active (less than a year of inactivity) members as well as holidays through the month

Go ahead and post questions, comments, intrests, or anything else in this thread. However, for submissions now throughout the rest of ever, please send them to MonthlyMud@yahoo.co.uk .
Edit: When making submissions, please remember to always follow the Lilymud Rules, remember that Tamu and I have the ultimate upper hand in deciding what's Monthly Mud appopriate and what's not, and that anyone can do it! The Monthly Mud is an Of Lilymud, For Lilymud, By Lilymud paper.

Edit: The paper can be found at http://www.lionking.org/~monthlymud/ ....have a look!

My TLKFAA Page ||| My Live Journal

I am a Monthly Mud Editor (and proud of it!)
Send submissions to MonthlyMud@yahoo.co.uk
Read it Here!

Last edited by Razzi : Feb 11th, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
Razzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:59 AM   #2
AkitaMutt
The original Coal Chaser

This sounds like alot of fun! Good luck!
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3
maquenda
Maquenda

Sounds awesome! really great =D
Good luck too! =D
maquenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Annie
Was Maggot

I hope this all goes as planned, sounds awesome ^^
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Tamu

well, razzi explained everything i needed to. if you'd like to contribute and don't have much time on hand, please post anyway and i can send you something short to answer that will only take a couple of minutes. for instance, reviews are something that we can never have enough of and that almost anybody can submit -- it doesn't necessarily have to be something that's just been released, it can be an old book that you've read or an old game you recommend too. please post if you're interested in helping out in anyway, and i'll post or pm you with a few options that might suit you. everything that people submit is appreciated no matter how small it is; not everything we require is time-consuming.
Tamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Shellcat
The Hawaiian Snow Cheetah

^^ Sounds great! I can't wait to see it back up and running!

~ (Lacrymosa)
And you can blame it on me
(Dies illa)
just set your guilt free, honey
(Lacrymosa)
I don't want to hold you back now love
(Amen)~
Shellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Majordomo
It's "Ne-vad-da", not "Ne-vah-da"

This is a good idea (well, in my opinion ), and I can't wait for the first issue. I just have one question. For the random submissions, what day of the month should we have them in by if we want them in the next month's paper? For example, if I wanted my (hypothetical) review in April's paper, what day in March should I have it to you? Also, what day of every month do you plan on distributing the paper?
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Silver Fang
Creature from the Deep

Awesome! I'm definitely going to write some articles to submit. *runs off to start writing*

Silver Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM   #9
mSnitta

Well, this would help my Journalism class skills.

*cracks paws. ow.*

Granted, they only really have me in it to do editorial cartoons and graphics, but they're open and encourage me to write.

I hope I can contribute to this. I always find fan things fun, and things like this are even better.

Yay for projects.

Snitta's PokePet

Ma the level 43 Kangaskhan!
mSnitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:42 AM   #10
Loui
.:Teh Loui:.

Wow this sounds like a great idea! xD Can't wait for the first [[new]] issue

“Nine out of ten Americans believe that out of ten people, one person will always disagree with the other nine.” - Colin Mochrie
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM   #11
Tamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo
This is a good idea (well, in my opinion ), and I can't wait for the first issue. I just have one question. For the random submissions, what day of the month should we have them in by if we want them in the next month's paper? For example, if I wanted my (hypothetical) review in April's paper, what day in March should I have it to you? Also, what day of every month do you plan on distributing the paper?

Ah, l think we were planning to have the issues up in the middle of the month -- January 15th will probably be the first one. l guess we'd hope to have submissions in as early as possible so in the case of an emergency, we can do something about it. We don't really have a deadline yet, but say the 10th-13th?

We are publishing mid-month because then we're not publishing old news. The articles you send us in will be for January, not February
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:52 AM   #12
Razzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu
Ah, l think we were planning to have the issues up in the middle of the month -- January 15th will probably be the first one. l guess we'd hope to have submissions in as early as possible so in the case of an emergency, we can do something about it. We don't really have a deadline yet, but say the 10th-13th?

We are publishing mid-month because then we're not publishing old news. The articles you send us in will be for January, not February

To further explain what Tamu means-
We'll take submissions for a month from the posting of one issue (say April 16th) until the prep of the next (maybe May 12ish?). We would love articles ASAP so we don't stress over them or have to make it ourselves and then someone ends up turning one in.

I'm very happy to see the excitment going around so far. This will work really well, if we get help and continued enthusiasm!

Read it Here!
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM   #13
sailorharmony2000
picture by Valkyrie

Oooh! I like the comics part!! I might be interested... I'd like to see how this goes.

Thanks for the banner, Tigrin!!
sailorharmony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Ramala
Angel of Music

Very cool. I'm a writer with no outlet, you might be getting a lot from me. XD So we just submit potential articles and whatnot to the said address, as simple as that?

Might I suggest a little idea? Especially for the random article section, a thought might be to provide writing prompts for the potential writers? Loose ones, of course, but it might help to have a little direction. Say something's of popular discussion in lilymud, and you'd like to have an article to cover it- you could let us know and we can give our take on it... just as an example.
Ramala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #15
Tamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramala
Very cool. I'm a writer with no outlet, you might be getting a lot from me. XD So we just submit potential articles and whatnot to the said address, as simple as that?

Might I suggest a little idea? Especially for the random article section, a thought might be to provide writing prompts for the potential writers? Loose ones, of course, but it might help to have a little direction. Say something's of popular discussion in lilymud, and you'd like to have an article to cover it- you could let us know and we can give our take on it... just as an example.

hmm, i don't think we were really expecting too many 'random articles' to be honest, unless people have the ideas. that's a good idea, though; we'll let you know here if there's any particular articles we'd like written. would you like me to post some discussion topics for you to write about? also, letters to the editors are most welcome; if you want to voice an opinion about anything you can send in those.
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM   #16
snowlprd31

hah awesome

you'll probably be seeing lot of reviews from me movies and books
woot. lol
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #17
Anon51
Living life at 25 frames per second

This is so cool!
Hey, maybe this could go side along with our podcasts? We're starting them soon too...we thought i'd be better to wait until Januray rather than posting them middle of December, but i've not had chance to speak to Khai yet...they seem to be none existant at the moment....
But, i don't know how it'd work...we'd have to chat about it, if you like the idea i'll give you my MSN if you want
It's a cool idea, if you don't want to join up with us you might be getting some articles in from me, i'm a freelance writer too
Anon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM   #18
Flip_Raccoon
is a very rich widow with a terrible secret

With the short three-four panel funny comics, can there also be long running comics? Not neccisarily(sp?) funny, but they follow a plot line and are also three-four panels long.

If so, I would like to do one. I can whip up a story discription and send it to you if you would like.

P.S. ~ Do they have to be TLK related?

Last edited by Flip_Raccoon : Jan 3rd, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Flip_Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Tamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip_Raccoon
With the short three-four panel funny comics, can there also be long running comics? Not neccisarily(sp?) funny, but they follow a plot line and are also three-four panels long.

If so, I would like to do one. I can whip up a story discription and send it to you if you would like.

P.S. ~ Do they have to be TLK related?

yes, yes, those are very much welcomed! ones that last many weeks, you mean? because a comic series would be awesome.

well, they must have some relation to the lilymud or tlkfaa universe. not necessarily tlk itself, but something that is linked to lilymud.
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM   #20
Tamu

edit;; oops, double post.
Unread Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #21
Razzi

@Ramala- as Tamu said, we love our Letters to the Editors. But that's a pretty good idea. I think we could work in something near the bottom of the paper (near the submission info) with ideas...Tamu and I will probably discuss further. Love the ideas for improvements everyone has! That's the only way this paper can work!

@Jo- Hmm, that sounds very cool, Lilymud podcasts! I think it's a great idea for an article you can write up for some "publicity" once it gets up, and then we can probably have a spotlight for it...so long as you and Khai can get it to us. Again, Tamu and I can discuss this, but joining the Lilymud community in all ways possible is one of the MM's main goals.

@Flip- Tamu already said it should be Lilymud related, and I'll talk to her a bit more on what those exact perameters are so we understand eachother. Glad to see you plan on continued intrest!

Read it Here!
Unread Jan 4th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #22
Tamu

well, i think we should keep the monthly mud and podcats seperate, but if you like we can post an article about your podcasts every once in a while or something.
Unread Jan 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #23
Razzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu
well, i think we should keep the monthly mud and podcats seperate, but if you like we can post an article about your podcasts every once in a while or something.

S'what I meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Read it Here!
Unread Jan 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #24
Tamu

Okay, guys, l hope to compile this thing on Monday or so, so please submit any reviews, articles, pictures, etc. as soon as possible! We really would like a couple more, so please just send something no matter how short -- it'd be a great help!
Unread Jan 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #25
Checkerz
Coconutter.

Wow, this sounds great.
Can't wait to see the first issue. May be able to write some reviews for later issues..
If coursework etc doesn't bog me down too much.

Good Luck though! ^^

31.07.09 til eternity
Checkerz is offline   Reply With Quote